Get Off the Hamster Wheel!
Updated: Mar 25
"Now get to work. You will not be given any straw, yet you must produce your full quota of bricks.”
Exodus 5:18 NIV ( https://www.bible.com/bible/111/EXO.5.18.NIV)
“The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender.”
Proverbs 22:7 NIV (https://www.bible.com/bible/111/PRO.22.7.NIV)
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Matthew 11:28 NIV (https://www.bible.com/bible/111/MAT.11.28.NIV)
Get off the hamster wheel !
Do you feel as if you are running on a hamster wheel?
Busy and not accomplishing anything?
Working and still in debt?
We live in a culture of immediate gratification. We buy things we can’t afford on credit. We struggle to make the payments. To make the payments, we work harder and harder for less reward in return. Sometimes our workload is so difficult that we are struggling to complete our job duties. We end up like the hamsters in the video. We feel stuck, hopeless and depressed.
But what if I told you that there is a way off the hamster wheel?
Would you be wiling to get off the hamster wheel?
The good news is that God says that we don't have to live this way. How does God offer us a way out?
First, understand that we can't do anything without his help. God helps us in doing the difficult things that we need to do.
“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”
2 Corinthians 12:9 (NIV) ( https://www.bible.com/bible/111/2CO.12.9.NIV)
What does this mean practically?
1. Not buying things we can’t afford on credit. (You can't make a limitless amount of money)
2. Stop trying to keep up with everyone else. (You can't impress everyone all the time)
3. Changing our mindset to the things that are important to God. (You can’t pursue what’s important to God if you are focused on what is important to you)
4. Finding true contentment in His purpose and will for our lives. (You can’t be satisfied only by having more money or things)
5. Budgeting your finances and time for maximum effectiveness. (You can’t use your resources wisely if you don’t have a plan)
6. Most importantly: Spending time with God. (You can’t have any of the above without having a strong relationship with Him)
I want to encourage you to get off the hamster wheel. Sit down and ask God to help you evaluate your life.
Are there things you are wasting your time and money on?
Are there relationships or activities that are draining you mentally and emotionally?
Are there boundaries that need to be put up to protect your health both mentally and physically?
Please pray for the Lord to show you how to have His peace in your life
Let us pray together in agreement
Forgive us for our sins and for not making you our number one priority in our lives.
Guide us to remove all distractions and unproductive things that take us away from You.
Give us Your Wisdom and Grace to do these things.
We ask this in Jesus name.
If anyone has not received Jesus as their Lord and Savior and wishes to do so, please say the prayer below:
Please forgive me for my sins. I invite you Jesus into my heart as my Lord and Savior. Fill me with Your Holy Spirit. Help me to follow You.
I ask this in Jesus name.